Thursday, September 23, 2010

Ted Brassfield and the Bar Exam

There are lots of people who pass the bar, but spend months completing the "background investigation." I say this from experience. I took the Florida Bar Exam in July 2009, passed, and had to wait a year before I was actually admitted. The problem: (1) My father's name is John, he is bankrupt, has liens against property he owns, and the Florida Bar initially believed that we were the same person (2) I have lived all over the country since I was 18 (3) I was subject to "discipline" at Cornell for swimming in a lake. Yeah, that's right.

So I'm not so quick to assume that Ted Brassfield has already failed the bar exam, let alone failed it multiple times. His blog indicated that he had taken the Maryland Bar Exam last year. He is not admitted in Maryland, but that alone is not dispositive. He could have passed the Maryland Bar and the hold-up could be due to administrative hassles. But if that were the case, it would make little sense for him to take the Colorado Bar, unless he were planning to move back to Colorado. One of the many reporters who interviewed him should have asked him about this--- asked whether he was planning a move back to Colorado and what happened with the Maryland Bar.

Unfortunately, real journalists are a dying breed, and nobody saw fit to ask Ted Brassfield any tough questions. They were too concerned with the fragile state of his dead or dying American dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment